Flood 55

O'Brien 60, 80

Shields 91

League Cup
Hunky Dorys Park
12 April 2010

Mark O'Brien certainly made an impression on his first appearance for the Seagulls, with the primary role in firing the Wicklow side into the next round of the League Cup.

The Seagulls had gone behind early in the second period after the first had gone goal-less, former Wanderer John Flood putting the home side in the driving seat.

But after O'Brien's contribution had seemed like enough to win the tie, substitute Chris Shields put it beyond doubt within seconds of his arrival.

Drogheda lost planned starter Robbie Martin just prior to the match, his place being taken by Ryan Brennan with Corey Treacy promoted to the bench.

Both sides had lively starts and early chances. Gareth O'Connor's third minute free looked threatening until a free out was awarded, and on five minutes Bray's Pablo Rodriguez went close with the goal virtually at his mercy after a John Mulroy cross.

Just inside the quarter hour, Paul Murphy was forced to concede a corner, touching a Dane Massey header onto his crossbar, but the flag-kick eventually ended up with a Bray throw on the left, and Murphy made amends with a clean take.

Dean Zambra also hit the home woodwork from a Dave O'Neill cross, and Mulroy shot short and to the right a minute later.

Zambra cleared off the line for Bray following an O'Connor corner, and a long free by Mick Daly was taken by Brian Kane.

On the half hour, Stephen Brennan fluffed a spread as he rushed goalwards, ceding possession, and minutes later O'Neill shot wide after good work across a reinforced Bray front line.

Kane had to be alert to palm away a Glen Fitzpatrick effort when Flood's attempt from the edge of the area was blocked, but when Fitzpatrick drew him wide five minutes after that, the Drogheda striker could only find the side netting.

At the end of normal first half time, Kane had to clear following a home throw in the right-hand corner.

The second period was only seconds old when Kane had to produce a fine save to turn away a diving header by Eric McGill from a Flood cross, and the home side kept the pressure on with a 25m Fitzpatrick free touched away, O'Connor's first flag-kick parried out to McGill, whose effort was turned out for a second, but this time McGill blasted over.

All this before Mulroy had a 50th minute shot pushed over by Murphy, but Massey's corner eventually went out for a Drogheda throw.

Two further home corners followed before a good passage of passing play saw a cross finally reach Flood, who blasted under Kane.

But the visitors came back within five minutes, newcomer Mark O'Brien shooting through legs from a Massey throw.

O'Connor had an opportunity to restore the Drogheda lead with a 17m free after Dave Webster was judged to have unfairly taken Fitzpatrick down as Kane collected the ball the Drogheda man had been chasing, but the midfielder shot over.

Flood was on target following another corner, but the ball was well cleared.

At this stage, Drogheda lost the services of Brennan to injury.

O'Neill was off target from a quickly taken Massey throw, and an O'Brien free was deflected out for a corner, which provided the starting point for Bray's next, O'Brien again striking low from 25m through a crowded area following rebounds of Massey's flag-kick.

Duffy shot straight at Kane, and Massey had to clear off the line from a Brian King shot, but it was substitute Chris Shields in time added who sealed the issue, peeling off his defender after Rodriguez nodded on a long Massey cross and firing across Murphy to the left-hand corner of the net.

Mícheál Ó hUanacháin

Bray Wanderers: 1 Brian Kane; 2 Daire Doyle (c), 4 Shane O'Connor, 5 David Webster, 3 Dane Massey; 7 David O'Neill, 8 Stephen Brennan, 6 Mark O'Brien, 11 Dean Zambra; 9 Pablo Rodriguez, 10 John Mulroy
Subs: 12 David Tyrrell, 14 Richie Baker (for Brennan 72), 15 Chris Shields (for O'Neill 90), 16 Robert Doyle, 25 Carl Donnelly (gk)
Drogheda United: 23 Paul Murphy; 17 Brian King, 15 Jamie Harris, 3 Joe Kendrick (c), 12 Eoghan Osbourne; 16 Mick Daly, 6 Eric McGill, 14 Gareth O'Connor, 19 Ryan Brennan; 18 Glen Fitzpatrick, 11 John Flood
Subs: 1 Paul Skinner (gk), 2 Corey Treacy, 5 Alan McNally (for Harris 78), 8 Jamie Duffy (for Brennan 72 inj), 10 Paul Crowley (for McGill 83),
Referee: Rob Rogers

Back to the topContact us