Greene 19, 79

Noone 36

Brennan 37

McCabe 57

McEneff m/pen 88


Maginn Park
22 Sep 2017

Full points, and a third victory over the Candystripes this season must be a satisfactory outcome for Harry Kenny and his men as the club undergoes yet another media firestorm off the pitch.

Let's not exaggerate - it's only Bray's second League win in three months - but it is their biggest result ever against Derry, home or away.

A brace early and late by striker Aaron Greene bracketed well-taken goals by Darragh Noone, Ryan Brennan and Gary McCabe.

The scoreline gives the Seagulls their biggest competitive winning margin of the season.

In fact, you have to go all the way back to October 2011 to find a bigger one, 6-0 away against Galway United.

Initially, the home side seemed to be in the process of making a game of it, while a warning shot in the form of McCabe's free tested Ger Doherty just over five minutes in.

Rory Patterson threatened Peter Cherrie's goal when Ronan Curtis put him through, the Scot having to be at his best the striker's effort just inside the quarter hour.

But once McCabe found Greene five minutes later and the Bray man made his run through the defence before lofting the ball over Doherty, the rout was on.

Curtis came close after that, and Aaron Barry had a go at levelling matters on the half hour when Aaron McEneff’s cross was flicked on to the back post by Patterson, but Cherrie was equal to it.

Minutes later, Keith Buckley picked up the ball on the right and got in rather easily behind Ben Doherty before squaring into the path of Noone who slotted into the corner of the net.

And with Nicky Low losing possession to Brennan from the re-start, allowing him to slip past the unready defence and score, the game was put beyond salvage for the home team.

Patterson was almost a one-man show, losing a free to a deflection of a team-mate and coming back again to fire on goal.

And he resumed the service after the break, Cherrie bringing off another superb save two minutes in and stopping with his legs seven minutes later when Low found the striker's feet on the edge of the area.

But with Brennan threatening to double his tally, when the woodwork got in the way, McCabe was on hand to barrel the loose ball home.

Both teams seemed a little shocked by the turn in events, and it was a full fifteen minutes before any thing further of note developed,

A quick corner by Low gave Jozef Dolný an opportunity, but the Slovak's shot was easily dealt with.

And the coup de grace was delivered minutes after that when Greene picked up the ball and advanced almost unhindered to fire again over the luckless Ger Doherty.

It was a sad comment on their efforts thus far that when Noone pulled Lukas Schubert down with only minutes to go, McEneff could only watch his spot-kick sail over the bar.

Referee Neil Doyle might have added a minimum of three minutes at the end, but he spared the fans at the end of a single additional minute.

Compiled by Mícheál Ó hUanacháin

Bray Wanderers: 1 Peter Cherrie; 6 Keith Buckley, 4 Conor Kenna (c), 21 Tim Clancy, 10 Karl Moore; 23 Jason Marks, 3 John Sullivan; 7 Ryan Brennan , 11 Gary McCabe , 22 Darragh Noone ; 9 Aaron Greene
Subs: 2 Hugh Douglas (for Kenna 67), 5 Derek Foran, 16 Luke Rossiter, 17 Gerald Pender (for Greene 82), 19 Kevin Lynch (for Marks 76), 24 Jake Ellis, 93 Lee Steacy (gk)
Derry City: 1 Gerard Doherty; 2 Conor McDermott, 27 Eoin Toal, 30 Aaron Barry, 23 Ben Doherty; 4 Aaron McEneff, 6 Nicky Low, 7 Barry McNamee; 21 Jamie McIntyre, 11 Rory Patterson, 9 Ronan Curtis
Subs: 8 Harry Monaghan, 13 Eric Grimes (gk), 15 Michael Place, 17 Cathal Farren, 19 Jozef Dolný (for Curtis 57), 22 Sam Todd, 29 Lukas Schubert (for McIntyre 70)
Referee: Neil Doyle

Back to the topContact us