O'Sullivan 31

Pender 15

Connolly 78

Sullivan 85


04 Feb 2017

Putting their Leinster Senior Cup disappointment behind them, the Seagulls recorded another win on the road this afternoon.

The home side, fresh from their takeover and name change, started brightly against opponents that used to be very familiar to them.

Just after six minutes, Dean O'Halloran worked his way up the right but couldn't reach striker Mark O'Sullivan with his cross.

And five minutes later, on the same flank, the winger linked up with Sander Puri to feed Kenny McEvoy, but in turn his cross was intercepted and cleared.

Just inside the quarter hour, Kevin Lynch sought to provide for Ger Pender, who tried an ambitious overhead effort - unfortunately, also over the bar.

Lynch had possession again a minute later and this time he found the young striker who put the ball away with a strong header.

The hosts had a half-chance to level matters within five minutes when McEvoy was fed by O'Sullivan, but his shot was too close to Peter Cherrie and didn't trouble the Scot.

A good linking movement just after the half-hour, however, put the Blues on level terms, defender Pat McClean feeding the unnamed "Trialist A" partnering Garry Comerford in a deep midfield role, and he crossed to O'Sullivan in enough space to fire past the Bray keeper.

Cherrie was in action again before the break, stopping O'Halloran's headed effort from a McEvoy feed.

Early in the second half, a move featuring O'Halloran and O'Sullivan looked threatening - but O'Halloran slipped as he was about to play McEvoy through on the left.

There wasn't much to suggest that further goals were awaiting, though ten minutes into the period, McCabe fed Aaron Greene, who turned inside the area but could only find the side netting.

And midway through, Greene had another chance marginally off target, this one rattling the woodwork.

And less than a quarter of an hour remained when Dylan Connolly beat Matthew Connor with a speculative shot from distance.

And it was another substitute, John Sullivan, who put the icing on the cake five minutes fromthe end when a cross from the right found him free in the area.

Compiled by Mícheál Ó hUanacháin

Bray Wanderers: 1 Peter Cherrie; 21 Trialist A, 5 Derek Foran, 4 Conor Kenna (c), 19 Kevin Lynch; 23 Jason Marks, 7 Ryan Brennan, 8 Mark Salmon, 11 Gary McCabe; 17 Gerard Pender, 9 Aaron Greene
Subs: 2 Hugh Douglas, 6 Keith Buckley, 10 Karl Moore, 14 Jamie Aherne, 15 Alan Kehoe, 16 Dylan Connolly (for Marks 55), 22 Darragh Noone, 50 Trialist B (for Cherrie 55)
Waterford FC: 1 Matthew Connor; 2 Robin Dempsey, 5 Gary Delaney, 4 Patrick McClean, 3 Shane O'Connor; 6 Garry Comerford, 8 Trialist A; 11 Kenny McEvoy, 10 Sander Puri, 7 Dean O'Halloran; 9 Mark O'Sullivan
Subs: 12 Dean Walsh (for Comerford 72), 14 Conor Whittle (for O'Halloran 62), 15 Trialist B (for McEvoy 72), 16 Tunmise Sobowale (for Delaney 72), 17 Anthony McAlavey (for Dempsey 55), 18 Owen Wall (for Puri 72), 19 Trialist C (for O'Sullivan 72), 25 Trialist D (for Connor 80)
Referee: Pat O'Connor

Back to the topContact us